Levoča, as a free royal city, has been rebuilt from the Middle Ages by walls of about 2.5 km, which have been preserved to the present. They consist of the main wall of the castle, high places up to 6 m, then it is a space in which the defenders could move - the parkan, the lower wall behind it, then the deep ditch. Originally, the city had two towers fortified by towers - upper (today Kosice) and lower. They later built a smaller gate between them, Mendhar. In the area of the upper gate, the fortifications began to be built in the 13th century, the entire walls completed in the 14th century. The walls are interrupted by bastions, the task of which was to prevent the enemy from accessing the walls themselves. The city had originally 13 bases, later 16.

      Today's merchant bastion was built in 1649 in connection with the increased need for defending the royal city against Estates' uprisings. Initially, they called her New Bašta, later named after the guy who was in charge of her defense. Already in 1670, her defense belonged to a tailor's band, and therefore it was long called the Krajčír Bastion. They also kept weapons and ammunition in it. We know that in 1697 he was in a very bad state. It has 4 floors.

      Due to the long siege of the town in 1710, the Emperor's Army (Levočská White Lady!) And then the Great Plague were in 1711 walls in a very bad condition and had to be subsequently repaired. Probably at that time, this guild took over the guild of the merchants, who had surely helped repair it, and since then it has been called Krupka's bastion. The repair of the fortifications lasted for a long time in the city, and in 1728 the walls were not covered with shingles. When a check was made in 1733, some were assigned by another hand. Our bastion remained the buyer.

      In the meantime, the walls have lost their original meaning. In addition, they have burdened the city's treasury and have therefore fallen more and more. The city even sold some of them. In 1788, the city decided to rebuild the Kupecká bastion at the city prison because the prison under the town hall was no longer suitable. The bastion was focused and plans were made to rebuild it. As a result of the subsequent political events, as well as the Napoleonic Wars, the reconstruction did not take place and the city returned to the original plan in 1811, when it made a new plan for rebuilding the murder master Anton Veselovsky. The matter stretched back to 1825, but the reconstruction did not take place.

      Already in 1803, the Court of Justice authorized the sale of part of the walls for the purpose of housing and gardens in the castle dike. Parts of the walls were gradually spreading. Vyšná - Košická - the gate was modified to its present form in 1840. Even the Kupecká bašta went into private hands and served as a dwelling house for a long time. After the Second World War, it was owned by the Drahuš family, who had noticed a variety of fruit trees in the ditch.

      Later ownership of the bastion passed to the state. In 1972 the artistic and historical research of the bastion was carried out. On the basis of this, the bastion was restored and in 1974 the first brass museum was opened in Slovakia. For the anxiety of space and poor accessibility of the city after about 10 years disappeared to open in 1990 in the new premises in the square. Basta then served as a café, restaurant, in the years 1996-2000 for the representation of artistic craft, then again as a restaurant. At present, it is - after a further investment - a cozy restaurant in a pleasant environment and with willing service and good service.